Looking for a place to stay for the USA gymnastics’ Triple Cup weekend between February 27 and March 2, 2019 at the Greensboro Coliseum? We invite you to stay with us at the O.Henry Hotel or Proximity Hotel in Greensboro, NC, just three miles away from the Greensboro Coliseum!
Greensboro is gymnastics central in 2019! Here are the following events to look forward to:
- 2019 Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational: Feb. 27—March 3
- Nastia Liukin Cup: March 1, 2019 at 7 PM
- American Cup: March 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM
- Men’s Elite Team Cup: March 2, 2019 at 6 PM
2019 UsA Gymnastics triple cup Hotel Special
Transportation included with
promo code: USA2019
Delight in a free hot Southern breakfast at O.Henry Hotel and scheduled SHUTTLE TRANSPORTATION to and from the Greensboro Coliseum will be available. Rates may vary.
Why Gymnasts and their families stay with us
- Both O.Henry Hotel and Proximity Hotel are just 3 miles away from Greensboro Coliseum!
- Gymnasts will get a great night’s sleep on our custom-designed Magi Beds and recuperate in extraordinary indoor air quality. Double walls between guestrooms provide added soundproofing and privacy for restorative sleep.
- You can get an energizing start with a complimentary hot southern breakfast
- Unwind with a spot of afternoon tea and gather with friends in the lobby.
- Each hotel is adjacent to one of Greensboro’s top restaurants: Print Works Bistro and Green Valley Grill, open for weekend brunch, lunch and dinner!
- If needed, our concierge can arrange transportation to and from the coliseum.
- AAA Four Diamond amenities and service help you unwind with all the comforts of home.
- We are located adjacent to Friendly Center, the top shopping area in Greensboro.
Check in to an inviting guestroom at O.Henry Hotel, where you’ll experience custom-designed, finely crafted furnishings and AAA Four Diamond amenities; including a spacious dressing room, cozy magi bedding for a great nights sleep and fresh outside air. Enjoy dinner at Green Valley Grill and after the competition, enjoy craft cocktails at our lively bar! The next morning, wake up to a complimentary hot Southern-style breakfast buffet, then relax in our luxurious Social Lobby while being served afternoon tea by our attentive staff! Book now.
Stay in sustainable style at our employee-owned, LEED Platinum Proximity Hotel! Unwind in a modern, loft-like guestroom with warm surroundings including custom, locally fabricated furnishings, original art by our artist-in-residence and AAA Four Diamond luxury hotel amenities that include; complimentary airport transportation, spacious guestrooms and comfy magi bedding for a great night’s sleep! The next morning, enjoy a leisurely brunch at Print Works Bistro. Book now.
Green Valley Grill
Visit Green Valley Grill, adjacent to the O.Henry Hotel, and enjoy informally elegant fine dining and seasonal food using old-world European culinary sensibilities and Mediterranean flavors. GVG’s wine list receives the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence each year and features 75 wines by the glass. The freshest food prepared by a passionate team, and served by friendly and competent people, is our recipe for a great dining experience.
Print Works Bistro
Print Works Bistro, adjacent to Proximity Hotel, uses fresh local ingredients to create extraordinary flavors and creative comfort foods. Enjoy traditional and modern versions of classic dishes popular in European-French bistros for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. The vibrant dining room has walls of windows overlooking the gardens and an energetic bar with craft cocktails that change with the seasons.
About 2019 American Cup
The American Cup showcases many of the world’s best male and female gymnasts in a one-day, all-around competition, and invitations to compete will be based on performances from the 2018 World Gymnastics Championships.
Held in conjunction with the American Cup, the Nastia Liukin Cup features many of the country’s top Junior Olympic female gymnasts and is held at 7 PM on the night prior to the American Cup. Named after the 2008 Olympic gold medalist and one of the USA’s most popular gymnasts, the Nastia Liukin Cup showcases gymnasts who qualify through the Nastia Liukin Cup Series. The Cup series includes many of the country’s top invitationals held from January through February. The Elite Team Cup, a team event with many of the USA’s top junior men, wraps up the Triple Cup weekend’s events on Saturday evening at 6 PM ET. All event start times are subject to change.
The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is also hosting the 2019 Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational Feb. 27-March 3, turning the city into “gymnastics central.” One junior and one senior gymnast will advance to the Nastia Liukin Cup from the 2019 Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational, the final qualifying event for the Nastia Liukin Cup. This is the second time the Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational, hosted by Flip Force Gymnastics, has been part of the Nastia Liukin Cup Series. In addition, designated women’s sessions for the invitational’s finals will use the equipment and podium brought in for the American Cup.
The impressive list of former American Cup champions also includes Simone Biles, Bart Conner, Tim Daggett, Gabby Douglas, Paul Hamm, Jonathan Horton, Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin, Carly Patterson, Danell Leyva, Shannon Miller, Mary Lou Retton, Kurt Thomas, Peter Vidmar, Jordyn Wieber and Kim Zmeskal-Burdette. Past sites for the American Cup include: New York, N.Y. (1976-80, 1982-84, 2004, 2008, 2012); Ft. Worth, Texas (1981, 1996-98); Indianapolis, Ind. (1985); Fairfax, Va. (1986-90, 2003); Orlando, Fla. (1991-94, 2000-02); Seattle, Wash. (1995); St. Petersburg, Fla. (1999); Uniondale, N.Y. (2005); Philadelphia, Pa. (2006); Jacksonville, Fla. (2007, 2011); Hoffman Estates, Ill. (2009, 2018); Worcester, Mass. (2010, 2013); Greensboro, N.C. (2014); Arlington, Texas (2015); and Newark (2016-17).
- Nastia Liukin. At the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Liukin’s total of five medals tied the U.S. gymnastics record for most medals in one Olympic Games. Liukin’s Olympic medals are: gold – all-around; silver – team, balance beam and uneven bars; and bronze – floor exercise. Liukin was the third of five U.S. women to win the Olympic all-around crown. She also won nine World medals in her career. Liukin has graced many magazine covers and appeared on various shows, including “Gossip Girl,” “Make It or Break It,” and the feature film, “Stick It.” Liukin was a contestant in the 2015 spring edition of “Dancing with the Stars” and was the grand marshal for the 2015 Indianapolis 500. She currently serves as a gymnastics analyst for NBC Sports and is a founder of Grander, a global community for the next generation of female athletes that provides access to the people who inspire, resources to help achieve dreams, and communities of like-minded people with similar ambitions. Liukin was coached by her father, Valeri, who has four Olympic medals from 1988 including two gold.
- Greensboro Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. The Greensboro Area Convention & Visitors Bureau is an independent, non-profit governmental authority whose mission is to aggressively market Greensboro’s assets, maximizing economic impact while providing excellent visitor service. Guilford County ranks third in the state in travel and tourism expenditures, with over $1.41 billion generated in 2017 and more than 13,900 people employed in travel-related jobs. For more information: www.visitgreensboronc.com.
- Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is a multi-building facility designed to serve the citizens of Greensboro and the surrounding area through a broad range of activities, including athletic events, cultural arts, concerts, theater, educational activities, fairs, exhibits, and public and private events of all kinds including conventions, convocations and trade and consumer shows. The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is one of the most actively booked facilities in the country hosting more than 1,100 events on an annual basis. With its incredible versatility, the Complex has gained worldwide acclaim from promoters, producers, event planners and patrons. For more information; www.greensborocoliseum.com.
- Sports & Properties, Inc. SPI is a sports marketing and sports development firm concentrating in four primary areas of business: major sponsorships, including naming rights; sports tourism; sports & entertainment facilities; and major events. SPI recent projects include the Raleigh-Durham market’s Major League Soccer Application, the USA Masters Games, greater Hickory, NC, sports tourism, St. Pete Pier naming rights, and the Seminole County Sports Complex. Event projects include the National Collegiate Table Tennis Championships, U.S. Figure Skating Championships, and the American Cup. SPI clients include Capitol Broadcasting Company, the City of St. Petersburg, FL, the North Carolina Football Club, and the Greensboro Coliseum Complex, among others. For more information on SPI, visit sportsproperties.com.
- Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational (GGI) – Celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2019, the Greensboro Gymnastics Invitational, hosted by Flip Force Gymnastics, is one of the largest gymnastics events on the East Coast. The event includes competition in men’s and women’s gymnastics, and power tumbling and trampoline. In 2018, GGI hosted over 3,000 athletes and was a Nastia Liukin Cup senior and junior qualifying event. 2018 was also the inaugural year of the GGI State Men’s Team Competition. Held annually at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex in February, GGI is directed by Chris Young (Flip Force Gymnastics), Esau Huang (Flip Force Gymnastics), and Sarah Myers (Flip Force Kidsport Gymnastics). GGI is a sponsor of Big Brothers Big Sisters, raising $25,000 for the local chapter. For more information, go to www.greensborogyminvite.com.
- International Gymnastics Federation. The International Gymnastics Federation is the governing body for gymnastics worldwide. It is the oldest established international federation of an Olympic sport and has participated in the Olympic Games since its revival in 1896. The FIG governs eight sports: gymnastics for all, men’s and women’s artistic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline (including double mini-trampoline and tumbling), aerobics, acrobatics, and Parkour. It counts 148 national member federations and has its headquarters in the Olympic capital of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- USA Gymnastics. Based in Indianapolis, USA Gymnastics is the national governing body for gymnastics in the United States. The organization is committed to creating a culture that encourages and supports its athletes and focuses on the safety and well-being of the athletes. USA Gymnastics has already taken specific, concrete steps to strengthen its safe sport policies and procedures. The organization’s disciplines include men’s and women’s artistic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline and tumbling, acrobatic gymnastics and gymnastics for all (formerly known as group gymnastics). For more complete information, log on to usagym.org.
Make It a Getaway
Our Friendly Neighborhood is a pretty cool place, so we’ve cooked up a few reasons to stay an extra day!
- Go two blocks to 125+ shops at Friendly Center.
- Shop and tour the world’s largest retailer of china, crystal, flatware and collectibles at Replacements, Ltd.
- Take a walk through history at the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park or discover the sit-in movement of 1960 at the International Civil Rights Museum.
- Our complimentary bikes are great for exploring the 112 miles of trails and greenways Greensboro has to offer!
- See more Greensboro Attractions!