Looking for a place to stay for the US Figure Skating Championships between January 20-26, 2020 at the Greensboro Coliseum? We invite you to stay with us at the O.Henry Hotel, the official luxury hotels of the 2020 US Figure Skating Championships in Greensboro, NC!
WHY Skaters AND THEIR fans STAY WITH US
- O.Henry Hotel is just 3 miles away from Greensboro Coliseum!
- Our Exclusive Figure Skating Package offers complementary transportation to and from the Greensboro Coliseum
- Get a great night’s sleep on our custom-designed Magi Beds and recuperate in extraordinary indoor air quality. Double walls between guestrooms provide added soundproofing and privacy for restorative sleep.
- You can get an energizing start with a complimentary hot southern breakfast.
- Unwind with a spot of afternoon tea and gather with friends in the lobby.
- The hotel is adjacent to one of Greensboro’s top restaurants: Green Valley Grill, open for weekend brunch, lunch and dinner!
- AAA Four Diamond amenities and service help you unwind with all the comforts of home.
- We are located adjacent to Friendly Center, the top shopping area in Greensboro.
2020 Us Figure Skating CHampionship Hotels
Check in to an inviting guestroom at O.Henry Hotel, where you’ll experience custom-designed, finely crafted furnishings and AAA Four Diamond amenities. Enjoy dinner at Green Valley Grill and after the competition, sip on craft cocktails at our lively bar! Finish the evening with live Jazz on Thursdays and most Saturday nights in our Social Lobby. The next morning, wake up to a complimentary hot Southern-style breakfast buffet, then relax in our luxurious Social Lobby while being served afternoon tea by our attentive staff! Book now.
Delight in fine dining with out leaving the hotel! We also provide complementary transportation to our sister restaurants just a stone’s throw away!
Green Valley Grill
Visit Green Valley Grill, adjacent to the O.Henry Hotel, and enjoy informally elegant fine dining and seasonal food using old-world European culinary sensibilities and Mediterranean flavors. GVG’s wine list receives the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence each year and features 75 wines by the glass. The freshest food prepared by a passionate team, and served by friendly and competent people, is our recipe for a great dining experience.
Print Works Bistro
Print Works Bistro, adjacent to Proximity Hotel, uses fresh local ingredients to create extraordinary flavors and creative comfort foods. Enjoy traditional and modern versions of classic dishes popular in European-French bistros for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. The vibrant dining room has walls of windows overlooking the gardens and an energetic bar with craft cocktails that change with the seasons.
About 2020 US Figure Skating Championship
January 20-26, 2020
The seven-day competition will be held Jan. 20-26, 2020, and will feature the country’s best men’s singles, women’s singles, pairs and ice dancing skaters from U.S. Figure Skating’s top two skill levels, senior and junior.
In years past and through the upcoming 2019 nationals, novice, intermediate and juvenile skill levels were also included. Beginning in 2020, those younger skaters will get their own event, a private three-day skating camp in nearby Morrisville that starts the day Greensboro’s event ends.
“It’s a tip of the cap to us,” said Hill Carrow, chairman of Greensboro’s organizing committee. “We’re going to be the first to host it with the new format. They wouldn’t just take a chance with a community that hadn’t ever done it before. Other cities will be studying what we’re doing and use us as a model. That’s a testimony to Greensboro.”
Greensboro hosted the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in 2011 and 2015, each time landing the big event the year after an Olympic Games and at the start of the next four-year cycle.
Now the city will be the first to host the event three times in a 10-year period since Colorado Springs held five of the first eight after World War II.
“It feels unprecedented,” Paul Wylie said. “When I was competing in the 1980s and ’90s, nationals used to rotate among the three sections: Pacific Coast, Midwest and East Coast. No one city would get nationals so often.”
Wylie, who won a silver medal at the 1992 Olympics, has lived near Charlotte for the last 13 years and coaches at a rink in Indian Trail. He’s part of the organizing committee for the third time and has seen figure skating’s growth in the Southeast.
We have broken that barrier,” Wylie said. “Having the championships here in 2011 was a big wakeup (for U.S. Figure Skating). Because, look around, Charlotte, Greensboro, Wilmington, Raleigh, Durham all have very vibrant skating clubs and large skating communities. The sport is growing very well in this part of the country.”
The 2019 nationals will be in Detroit at Little Caesar’s Arena, and Greensboro will get the second year of the cycle leading up to the 2022 Beijing Olympics. That could mean a stronger field of Olympic contenders at the senior level.
“Things start to heat up,” Wylie said. “There’s jockeying for position that’s going on, for sure. Every year is important, but if you’re going to take a year off from competition — like Ashley Wagner did in 2011 — you’re going to take that year after the Olympics. If you’re serious about trying to get back to the Olympic Games, you will be here for this competition in 2020.”
Make It a Getaway
Our Friendly Neighborhood is a pretty cool place, so we’ve cooked up a few reasons to stay an extra day!
- Go two blocks to 125+ shops at Friendly Center.
- Shop and tour the world’s largest retailer of china, crystal, flatware and collectibles at Replacements, Ltd.
- Take a walk through history at the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park or discover the sit-in movement of 1960 at the International Civil Rights Museum.
- Our complimentary bikes are great for exploring the 112 miles of trails and greenways Greensboro has to offer!
- See more Greensboro Attractions!
Sign Up to receive SPECIAL OFFERS
Sign up below so we can keep you up to date on special rates and packages for upcoming concerts and events. Also, if you would like to receive our Neighborhood Letter in the mail, please provide your mailing address.