WHAT MADE THIS WEDDING SO SPECIAL?
Shannon and Greg, who had met at Print Works Bistro in 2011, wanted to keep things elegantly simple as they celebrated their wedding day in O.Henry Hotel’s Cloister Garden and Pavilion. Their goal was to enjoy the experience with a small group of close friends and family. The couple had considered eloping, as this was a second marriage for both, but they decided they wanted their children to be present at the ceremony. In addition, the bride’s maternal grandparents, both aged 90, were able to attend the wedding!
Greg and Shannon said, “We chose the O.Henry because the courtyard setting was perfect for the type of occasion we had in mind. Simple. Elegant.”
NOTES ON DESIGN & COLOR
Greg and Shannon admired the greenery already in place in the Cloister Garden, and they wanted to embrace the simplicity and beauty of natural and neutral colors. At the reception in the Pavilion, natural light flooded the table, which was accented by small, elegant floral arrangements in the palest dusty pink, white, and green combinations.
The light-filled reception in the Pavilion featured a long table set with simple white place settings on a green damask table cloth overlaid with white. Floral nosegay-style arrangements and votive candles punctuated the table, which was surrounded by gold Chiavari chairs.
Greg proposed to Shannon in October of 2014 at another local restaurant in a quiet, private and personal setting. He had arranged for the pastry chef to write, “Will You Marry Me” on Shannon’s dessert platter. Shannon says, “I was very surprised, and it was a special moment for sure.”
The intimate wedding was attended by close friends and family, including Greg and Shannon’s children from previous marriages, and the bride’s 90-year-old maternal grandparents!
A Chef’s Bespoke Menu from Green Valley Grill featured a Local Tomato Sampler appetizer with burrata, julienne red onion, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and cracked black pepper on crostini. Then, guests enjoyed a Mixed Baby Green Salad with an array of julienne vegetables accompanied by their choice of five-herb buttermilk or balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
Entree choices included:
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken, layered with herbed goat cheese and topped with fried capers and lemon garlic sauce, over mashed potatoes and a seasonal vegetable
- Wood-Fired Filet Mignon, topped with bruschetta relish and shaved Parmesan over mashed potatoes and a seasonal vegetable
- Baked Pecan-Crusted Trout with lemon beurre blanc, polenta and a seasonal vegetable
- Roasted Eggplant with grilled za’atar spiced summer vegetables, tzatziki and charmoula sauce over herbed pistachio rice
Finally, for dessert, the bride, groom and their guests enjoyed:
- Tres Leches Cake with fresh peaches and dulce de leche
- Frozen Nutty Irishman of chocolate cake layered with Irish cream mousse and crushed English toffee, finished with creme anglaise and chocolate sauce
During the reception, an open bar featured assorted soft drinks, premium domestic and imported beers, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon wines, and Mimosas.
The couple said that, “After four years together, it was so special to look into each other’s eyes and realize that this was it: We were finally going to be together forever.”
THE WEDDING MAGIC MAKERS
- Wedding Venue: O.Henry Hotel, Cloister Garden and Pavilion Room
- Chef Designed Menus and Catering: Green Valley Grill
- Florals: Brenda McLamb, Proximity Florist-in-Residence
- Photography: Liz Grogan Photography
For more information about planning your wedding or event Greensboro, North Carolina, please email our wedding and event specialists or give us a call at O.Henry Hotel: 336-478-9112 or Proximity Hotel: 336-478-9111.