Most girls dream of a fairytale proposal but not all of them get one—especially not one that takes place in Cinderella’s castle. Luis surprised Katherine with a proposal fit for a princess, on Valentine’s Day in 2012. Not only was it a special hallmark in their relationship, but also one for Disney World, with the couple being the first to get engaged inside the castle. They’ll actually be making history with their engagement commemorated in a Disney book. Their evening began with a romantic dinner inside the castle. The chef then brought out the ring, which was inside a rose filled glass slipper that read “happily ever after.” All of the Disney princesses trailed behind him, joining in the celebration. For the sweet finale, they were presented with a white chocolate mold of the glass slipper, filled with fresh strawberries. Katherine was completely surprised, since it was Valentine’s Day, and she figured the romantic dinner at Cinderella’s castle was just part of the holiday.
They first discovered the O.Henry Hotel while flipping through The Knot Magazine, and they were instantly smitten, settling upon it as the site of their reception. The old-world European atmosphere reminded Katherine of time spent abroad as a child when her father was in the military. The couple were married in February of 2014. They exchanged their vows before their families in an intimate Catholic service at Our Lady of Grace Church, and an evening reception followed in the Hawkins Brown Room of the O.Henry Hotel.
Katherine and Luis were equally involved in the wedding planning process, designing much of the decorations themselves. They requested romantic shades of pink, in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. They also wanted their wedding to showcase elements of their Disney engagement, so they found metal centerpieces that resembled Cinderella’s carriage. The lovebirds also made the table numbers and place cards, and had custom candles with their names and wedding date. As favors for their guests, they had stemless wine glasses which said “love” in Spanish and English, at each place setting. Each glass was filled with tulle and ribbon and different flavored Hershey Kisses with custom-made stickers that had the bride and groom’s names and wedding date.
Katherine’s bridesmaids and her Godmother (who traveled from Ecuador) helped her get ready. In Hispanic cultures, it’s tradition for the Godmother to help the bride with her dress.
Katherine surprised Luis (a diehard Mets fan) with Mets garters, and a special Mets-themed groom’s cake, which was brought out during their first look. The couple also designed their own Save the Dates, on snapfish.com.
The men look sharp as they pose in the Green Valley Grill bar.
Pink calla lilies, tulips, hydrangeas, and ranunculas, with white accents were arranged in on reception tables.
From clockwise: The Hawkins Brown Room, decorated for the reception; the bride & groom make their grand entrance at the reception; the couple cut into the 3-tiered wedding cake from Maxie B’s.
From clockwise: Guests mingle and sign the couple’s photo-guestbook, which featured their engagement photos. Due to inclement weather, the maid of honor was unable to attend the wedding, so she recorded a special video toast for the bride and groom.
DJ SP—who braved severe winter weather, and drove down from NYC for the wedding—got everyone on their feet. Guests danced the night away to his selection of lively party and latin music.
Cocktail Hour Menu from Green Valley Grill:
- Cheese Display: Chef’s Selection of Artisanal Cheeses served with Rustic Breads and Assorted Crackers
- Crispy Shrimp with Romesco Aioli
- Fire-Roasted Chicken and Mushroom Bruschetta with Herbed Ricotta Cheese
- Giacamo’s Fresh Italian Sausage “Jacks” served with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Pesto
- Mini Crab Cakes served with Chili Lime Aioli
Plated Dinner Menu from Green Valley Grill:
- Mixed Baby Green Salad with an Array of Julienne Garden Vegetables served with Five Herb Buttermilk and Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast with Herbed Goat Cheese, Lemon Garlic Sauce and Crispy Capers, served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Rosemary Crusted Prime Rib with Roasted Mirepoux Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Grilled Salmon with Chive Butter Sauce served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Chef’s Selection of Vegetarian Entree
Bite-Sized Dessert Display:
- Miniature Brownies
- Bite-Sized Cheesecake
- Fruit Tarts
Wedding Magic Makers:
- Wedding Reception Venue: O.Henry Hotel, Hawkins Brown Room
- Chef Designed Menus and Catering: Green Valley Grill
- On Site Director: Oluwafemi Ehinmiakhena (family friend)
- Florist: Brenda McLamb (with O.Henry Hotel)
- Photographer: Mark Potter Photography
- Bakery: Maxie B’s (Red Velvet, Italian Cream, Caramel Pecan)
- Hair & Makeup: Updo’s Studios
- DJ: DJ SP (Mike): Rough Camper Entertainment
For more information about planning your wedding or event Greensboro, North Carolina, please email our wedding and event specialists or give us a call at O.Henry Hotel: 336-478-9112 or Proximity Hotel: 336-478-9111.